12 Reasons “Black Panther” is the Best Movie of 2018

Back to Article
Back to Article

Myahn Walker

Hello and welcome all to my short celebration of Black History Month in reviewing the movie a�?Black Panthera�? starring Chadwick Boseman! Black History Month is a time where black people around the world are admired for their excellence and the revolutionary steps they take or have taken for the betterment of all others. This is a month that we are reminded to strive for the impossible and achieve without letting boundaries define us. For this and many other reasons, a�?Black Panthera�? is the PERFECT movie for the occasion and may be, in my opinion, the best movie of 2018. Here are 12 reasons why I believe so (SPOILER FREE!):

1.) The role African American history played

• a�?Black Panthera�? sheds light on the adversity African Americans have faced especially in regards to slavery and imperialism from both perspectives; the effect on those enslaved and those left in a destitute state.

2.) The empowerment for women and minorities

• a�?Black Panthera�? is filled with empowerment! First, the Wakandans are royalty, technologically advanced and the most wealthy nation globally. Next, they are the most respectable people. They are self-sufficient and women and men equally contribute to their society! Following this, all of the Wakandans are accomplished one way or another. They are the best at their skill and settle for nothing less. Lastly, (but not really because there are countless other ways) all of the Wakandans are kind hearted and choose virtue over hatred and revenge despite their struggles.

3.) The insight on African culture and tribes

• The movie shows how the Panther unites and protects the five tribes of Wakanda. Although fictional, these tribes share many characteristics with the tribes of Africa through their traditional clothing, customs, and religious aspects like their admiration for ancestry and spiritual life.

4.) The insight on the effects of economic oppression

• From two sides, American and African, a�?Black Panthera�? highlights how economic disparity affects the mindset of people under its influence and how it can alter their perception of the world. This is important because often times, movies solely depict poverty as a social and wealth problem but they rarely show the effect it has on someonea��s lifestyle and beliefs.

5.) The beautiful view of Africa

• Although Wakanda, Ta��challaa��s/Black Panthera��s kingdom, is a fictional place, much of the movie was filmed in the African countries, South Africa, Zambia and Uganda. It is nice to see the true beauty of Africa and it represented as a place of technological advancement.

6.) The beloved actors actresses and their roles

• Many great actors and actresses are characters in the movie such as: Chadwick Boseman (Ta��challa/ Black Panther), Michael B. Jordan (Erik Killmonger), Lupita Nyonga��o (Nakia), Danai Gurira (Okoye), Forest Whitaker (Zuri), Shuri (Letitia Wright) and Angela Bassett (Ramonda). There are many more actors and actresses that deserve recognition and truly fill this movie with talent! Herea��s a complete list of the cast and crew: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1825683/fullcredits

7.) The African wardrobe

• Needless to say, the wardrobe in the a�?Black Panthera�? is spectacular. It is full of vibrant colors and texture. I admire their style in creating an advanced and technology based demeanor while staying true to the traditional African garbs.

A�A�

8.) The soundtrack

• To capture the essence of the movie, the music is hip hop and rap based produced by famous artists like Kendrick Lamar, The Weeknd and Zacari!

9.) The courage and self pride

• Throughout the movie, there are scenes where the characters talk about being confident in who you are. It also teaches everyone to be proud of their origins and heritage.

10.) Black excellence at its best

• Powerful characters such as Princess Shuri, Ta��Challaa��s younger sister played by Letitia Wright, serve as role models for all to strive for excellence and pursue any dream. Shuri is the engineer responsible for the Black Panthera��s high-tech gear and creates/supervises all the technology and systems within Wakanda. She also devised a system of using technology for medical advancement. Alongside her, Okoye, played by Danai Gurira, is the most accomplished warrior and general of Wakandana��s all female army, Dora Milaje. Talk about heroes!

A�

11.) Sticking together for justicea��s sake

• There are many scenes in which conflict arises and when a decision must be made, the characters reiterate the importance of supporting one another and doing what is right for all rather than a select few.

12.) The comedic scenes

• This movie is filled with hilarious moments! My favorites have involved the sibling relationship between Ta��Challa and Shuri. Their dynamic is so relatable and accurate and it adds a sense of family to the movie rather than a strict focus on the Panthera��s duty.

On the surface, Black Panther is another origin story of a Marvel Superhero. However, this movie has proven itself to be worthy of much higher regards as it is inspirational, empowering, informative and heartening. It tackles all stereotypes and notions that success is unattainable for minorities and proves that our outcome is ultimately our decision. Thank you everyone and Happy Black History Month!

“We must find a way to look after each other, as if we were one single tribe”

a��T’Challa (Black Panther)