Going Green- A Guide to Saving the Earth

Going green is often seen as a burden or an unnecessary change, but it’s actually much easier than you think. There are little things you can do in your everyday life to help reduce greenhouse gases and make a less harmful impact on the environment. Taking care of the Earth is not just a responsibility -- it's a privilege.

Bianca Gonzales, Student Writer

• Conserve water. Something as simple as turning off the water while brushing your teeth makes a huge difference for the planet. Doing this one thing helps you save up to 25 gallons of water each month. You can also shorten your shower by a minute to save up to 150 gallons of water a month.
  • Scale back car use. A great way to reduce the amount of dangerous greenhouse gases we release into the environment is by using different more eco-friendly forms of transportation such as public transit, biking, and walking. In fact, a single person who swaps a 20-mile round-trip commute by car to public transportation can reduce annual carbon dioxide emissions by 4,800 pounds.
  • Recycle. Many materials such as paper, aluminum, and plastic can be remade into new products. By recycling these products, we are able to reduce the waste that goes into landfills. Making new items from recycled ones also takes less energy and fewer resources than making products from brand new materials

• Buy second hand. Buying second hand products at local places has many benefits. It saves pollution from long distance transportation. It cuts costs as well it helps to reduce packaging materials. Donate things you don’t have use for anymore. Do the same as to check before buying brand new items.

• Use reusable objects. Anything you use only a few times and throw away consumes resources only to spend centuries in a landfill. Carry your own reusable cup or water bottle, eating utensils, and cloth shopping bags with you.