Hockey and the Art of Hair

Melanie Dubenko, Editor in Chief

Hockey, a sport known for its quintessential combination of the aggression of football and the grace of fencing. A sport of sophistication, vigor, and high energy, hockey is one of the most popular sports in the world.

I have had the pleasure of attending many hockey games in my lifetime, and am fortunate enough to have several friends that play- one of whom has played for the Jr. Flyers. I attended a number of games, and immediately remembered the feeling that caught my attention so many years ago as a child.

Hockey, not unlike many other sports, ignites the competitive side of me: the arm waving, loud screaming, referee insulting lunatic that stands on the sidelines and attempts to communicate to everyone around me that I know exactly what the opposing team’s next move will be. Although my presentation isn’t graceful or, for that matter, socially acceptable, it is raw. My emotions throughout the game are true to my character, and my passion isn’t easily hidden. Most often I receive disapproving looks from the opposing team’s audience, but my team is always appreciative of my enthusiasm and undying devotion, if only for those two and a half hours.

One fad in the hockey community that I had overlooked was the flowing locks that framed the faces of so many players, and my questions were answered after a bit of investigating. A hockey player friend of mine explained that every member on the team was supposed to grow their hair out for the duration of the season, cutting and shaving only after Championships (which is cut short, unfortunately, for teams who don’t make it that far). I had never realized the severity of the pact until someone suggested a haircut for one of the players, and was answered with a glare from the other players and a defensive remark.  Note to self: don’t suggest a haircut- it’s considered bad luck!

What surprises me most is the lack of enthusiasm from women for this sport; if not just for the attractiveness of the players then the poise of the players, or the entertaining barbarity expressed through physical brawls on the ice.  Hockey offers the opportunity to experience a variety of emotions, and forms a bond between the crowd members, all shouting in unison for a common purpose- a positive community that’s not unfamiliar to women. Tip for parents who have daughters interested in male-dominated sports: SUPPORT YOUR DAUGHTERS! SHOW THEM YOU BELIEVE THEY ARE JUST AS CAPABLE AS THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS!

Sometimes a hockey game is just a hockey game, and sometimes it isn’t. Hockey games, like a meal shared between friends or family, is an act of communion- one everyone should participate in at least once in their life.